James E. Skeen
Areas of Practice
- Estate Planning
- Estate Administration
- Business Law
Admitted to Practice
- District of Columbia, 1978
- Virginia, 1979
- U.S. Tax Court, 1980
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1987
- Brigham Young University, J.D., cum laude, 1978
- Stephen L. Richards Scholar
- Executive Editor, Brigham Young University Law Review, 1977-1978
- Brigham Young University, M.Acc., 1978
- Brigham Young University, B.S., magna cum laude, 1975
- Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- American Bar Association
- Central Virginia Estate Planning Council (President, 1988–1989)
- Certified Public Accountant, Utah, 1978
- Fluent in French
- Trustee, Southern Virginia University, 2001-2016
- Board Finance Committee Chair, Southern Virginia University, 2001-2016
- Secretary, Board of Trustees, Southern Virginia University, 2016-present
- General Counsel and Executive Board Member, Stonewall Jackson Area Council, Boy Scouts of America, 2010–present
- Board of Directors, Queen Charlotte Square Condominium Association (President, 2015-present)
- Bishop, Charlottesville Young Adult Ward, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2013-present
James E. (“Jim) Skeen practices in the areas of taxation, estate planning and administration, and business law. Mr. Skeen received his B.A. in Accounting magna cum laude from Brigham Young University in 1975. He graduated cum laude from Brigham Young University Law School in 1978. He also completed a Masters of Accountancy from BYU and sat for and passed the CPA exam while attending law school. He served as the Executive Editor of the Brigham Young University Law Review. During his undergraduate work at Brigham Young, Mr. Skeen interrupted his undergraduate studies to serve a two year church service mission to France. He is fluent in French and retains a love for the culture, people and beauties of France.
Prior to moving to Charlottesville in 1982, Mr. Skeen worked in the National Tax Department of Ernst & Whinney (now Ernst and Young) and with a large Washington, DC law firm where he represented numerous national clients in tax matters before the Internal Revenue Service and worked in many complex estate and business planning matters. He founded Skeen Law Offices in 1988. Mr. Skeen has had a wide range of legal experience during his years in practice. He particularly enjoys confronting difficult legal problems and seeking creative solutions that satisfy both a client’s legal and personal objectives. His clients include businesses, educational institutions and individuals—both those with substantial assets as well as those with modest means. He has received the highest possible peer rating (“AV”) for legal competence and ethical standing by Martindale-Hubbell.
In addition to his law practice, Mr. Skeen has served on boards and projects with local civic organizations. He serves on the Executive Board and as General Counsel to the local Boy Scout council. He also serves as Secretary to the Board of Trustees and as counsel for Southern Virginia University. He is active in his church and has served in various leadership capacities in the Charlottesville and central Virginia areas.
Jim enjoys spending time with family, and travelling with his wife of more than 40 years.